Ask a General Surgeon: Dr Shanker Pasupathy from Mount Elizabeth (Orchard) Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: General SurgeryAsk a General Surgeon: Dr Shanker Pasupathy from Mount Elizabeth (Orchard) Hospital Singapore
Shanker Pasupathy - General Surgery - Upper Gastrointestinal (EsophagusDr Shanker Pasupathy asked 2 years ago
I am Dr Shanker Pasupathy, General Surgeon based in Mount Elizabeth (Orchard) Hospital Singapore. Ask Me Anything!

I am the director of the Digestive Centre, Mount Elizabeth Hospital. If you are suffering from acid reflux, abdominal pain, cancer, obesity or hernia, you have come to the right place.

We provide comprehensive diagnosis based on detailed symptom history, nutrition and lifestyle evaluation. Treatment options include meal planning and dietary guidance, medications, endoscopy and keyhole surgical interventions.

Our signature programmes include non-invasive weight loss treatments such as Saxenda therapy, Elipse balloon and Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty.

If you have completed your medical workup, you may be eligible for the fast-track bariatric/metabolic surgery pathway. We are also proud to offer state-of-the-art procedures for acid reflux including Linx magnetic sphincter augmentation, Barrx radio-frequency ablation and laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair.

Because we do a thorough work-up, your treatments can often be done as outpatient or day surgery.

Learn more about me here:

I am excited to be here to share/discuss abdominal symptoms, advanced endoscopy, laparoscopy and robotic surgeries with everyone. I will be actively answering questions. Whether you've got questions about cancer, acid reflux, weight loss treatment, gallstones, hernias, ask me anything!

=== Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
17 Answers
Sharon answered 2 years ago

My sister is severely overweight at close to 100kgs at 168cm. She used to be only 50+kg but gained weight because of work stress as she eats to cope. She has a gym membership but can’t find time to go. She often tells she feels breathless and lethargic but she has no idea how to start losing weight. Would you recommend weight loss surgery for someone like her? Are there any weight loss programmes she can go on?

Dr Shanker Pasupathy replied 2 years ago

Your sister certainly seems to be struggling with her weight. At the moment her body mass index (BMI) is 35kg/m2 which puts her definitely in the obese category (>30). I would recommend diet, lifestyle and medical options first. There are a number of newer mini-invasive weight loss interventions such as the pill balloon and sleeve gastroplasty which may be considered before discussing surgery.

Karen answered 2 years ago

Hi doctor, is it true that eating preserved foods in high quantities like kimchi etc will cause us to have a higher risk of stomach cancer?

Dr Shanker Pasupathy replied 2 years ago

Yes, there does appear to be some evidence in the scientific literature that eating heavily salted and pickled foods are correlated with stomach cancer in genetically susceptible individuals. Kimchi and soybean paste have been implicated. You may consider increasing your intake of fresh vegetables as these are generally associated with lower rates of gastro-intestinal and colorectal cancer.

Charmaine Ng answered 2 years ago

My father is 77 years old and he was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer 1.5 years ago. He does not seem to be getting better. I am now worried about stomach cancer, because I read online that the symptoms are similar. Would you recommend another endoscopy or any other examination considering it’s been 1.5 years?

Dr Shanker Pasupathy replied 2 years ago

Stomach ulcers usually heal after a few weeks of treatment. Because of the small risk that an ulcer may indeed be cancerous, a follow-up endoscopy would be useful. During endoscopy, the site of the ulcer should be inspected and biopsies taken to confirm healing.

Fang Ling answered 2 years ago

Hi Doctor. I am a 27 year old female. I’ve been trying various diets since 6 months ago. However, these past two weeks I have been feeling nausea and heartburn. I have stopped dieting and started eating normally again but the nausea persists and sometimes it makes me vomit. Have I hurt my stomach with the constant diet changes?

Dr Shanker Pasupathy replied 2 years ago

Your symptoms of heartburn and nausea are suggestive of gastro-esophageal reflux. Normally, our stomach produces acid to digest food and also mucus to protect itself from damage by the acid. Recent research has shown that a healthy gut microbiome (the bacteria that normally live in your gastro-intestinal tract) is essential to modulate these digestive processes. Radical diet changes can disrupt your gut microbiome, although it is unlikely that you have “hurt” your stomach given your young age and short duration of dieting.
My first piece of advice is to establish a healthy meal routine, control your food portions, avoid snacking between meals and allocate enough time for sleep every night. Do engage in regular physical activity. It may take 1-2 months to restore your body back to balance.

Lee wai yan answered 2 years ago
If I have sliding hiatal hernial causing reflux, do i need to go for surgery?
Dr Shanker Pasupathy replied 2 years ago

You may consider surgery if your symptoms are frequent or persistent despite medication. You have a specific problem (the hernia) that can be corrected so there is a very good chance that your reflux will be well controlled after surgery.
Surgery is performed under general anaesthesia using key-hole technique. It usually takes about 1 hour with just 1 night stay in hospital.

junxian answered 1 year ago
Hi Doctor Shanker, I am 24 years old. i did an endoscopy this year in April. The report shows there is helicobacter pylori associated chronic active gastric with intestinal metaplasia and gastric erosion. My stomach still feel painful everyday although I am undergoing treatment for the hp. May I know if my case is considered serious? What should I do? May i know if there is any treatment for intestinal metaplasia?
Rina answered 1 year ago
Hi, i'm 39yrs old lady with obesity. My current weight is 150kg. Any ways to reduce weight to aaceptable weight by not going any surgery?
Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list