Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist: Dr Fong Yoke Fai from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Obstetrics & GynaecologyAsk an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist: Dr Fong Yoke Fai from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore
Dr Fong Yoke Fai asked 2 years ago
I am Dr Fong Yoke Fai, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist based in Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore. Ask Me Anything! I was the lead surgeon in laparoscopic surgery in the National University Hospital, where my team performed the first robotic surgery for gynaecological cancer in the region. I was Associate Professor at the National University of Singapore and Head of Benign Gynaecology at NUH for nearly 10 years before I moved into private practice. I was President of the Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society of Singapore from 2011-2013 and Chair of the Asia and Oceania Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecology-Gynaecological Endoscopy Committee from 2011-2015. I became President of the 3rd Congress of Endometriosis and Uterine Disorders in 2017, and currently serve on the Board of the Asian Society of Endometriosis and Adenomyosis. In 2009, I performed single-incision surgery in the region and then the first multidisciplinary single incision surgery in the region. In 2014, I led the team in transplanting ovarian tissue back into a patient with ovarian failure, which led to Asia’s first baby conceived naturally from implanted ovarian tissue. Throughout my tenure, I strived to push for better health care outcomes for women and to empower my patients with more choices and options. I developed the Endometriosis Centre concept that catered to complex endometriosis and chronic pelvic pain, integrating urological, colorectal, pain management as well as women’s emotional health services in caring for women with endometriosis. I started the Endometriosis Awareness Campaign in 2012, a yearly activity to empower women with more knowledge, information, treatment choices and support to combat endometriosis. Following which, I started research in uterine fibroids and was especially concerned about the issue of ovarian reserve for women going for surgery. I am currently also a visiting consultant to NUH and an adjunct Associate Professor at the National University of Singapore. Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Women's Health with everyone. I will be actively answering questions. Whether you've got questions about gynaecological cancers, ovarian failure, endometriosis, pelvic pain, or uterine fibroids, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
16 Answers
Jialing answered 2 years ago

I am currently 5 months pregnant with twins. During my last check up, the doctor mentioned my cervix is getting weaker. Do you have any advice on what I can do to prevent a miscarriage?

Francis answered 2 years ago

I have blockage in both of my tubes. Besides IVF, is there any way for me to get pregnant? I am 42 years old.

Dr Fong Yoke Fai replied 2 years ago

Unfortunately, if both the tubes are blocked, then it means that the eggs and sperm are unable to meet and therefore there is no embryo formed. The couple would then have to rely on IVF which retrieves eggs and sperm for fertilization outside the body. The embryo is then placed back into the uterus for possible implantation.

Wai Kuan answered 2 years ago

Doctor, my wife had an ectopic pregnancy. Fortunately, it was treated at the right time so she is now fine. She is now quite traumatised by the experience. Medically, is there any chance for a woman to have repeated ectopic pregnancies? What can we do to prevent it in the near future?

Dr Fong Yoke Fai replied 2 years ago

The baseline risk for an ectopic is about 1 in 200. Once a woman had an ectopic, the risk for a future ectopic rises to about 10-15%. This is because the factors (infection, inflammation, scarring etc) that have possibly contributed to the occurrence of the ectopic in the first place will also possibly affect the opposite tube as well.

For natural conception, it is not possible to control or predict how the embryo will travel down the Fallopian tube into the uterus. Therefore, it is not quite possible to prevent a second ectopic from recurring.

If both tubes have been clipped or removed, then IVF does avoid the potential problem of an ectopic in the Fallopian tubes.

Joseph answered 2 years ago

My sister experienced a molar pregnancy in October last year. She has gone for dilation and curettage. How long should she wait before she plans her next pregnancy?

Dr Fong Yoke Fai replied 2 years ago

She will have to continue to see her gynaecologist and have her HCG blood levels trended until it reaches less than 1. Once the HCG is not detected, she should wait 6 months before she tries to get pregnant again. This allows her to be monitored for the more serious sequelae of molar pregnancy which is gestational trophoblastic neoplasia which can occur in about 10% of women with molar pregnancies.

Gladys N. answered 2 years ago

I had an eating disorder when I was 18 and my period did not come for close to 3 years. Now that I am better, my period has returned to normal. I'm worried that the 3 year absence will affect my chances of getting pregnant in future. Will it?

Dr Fong Yoke Fai replied 2 years ago

Rapid weight change, severe stress, extreme physical training are some factors that can affect menstruation. This is because the body recognizes the body change and will try to conserve energy as much as possible. So some non essential function such as ovulation may shut down temporarily. However once these factors are reversed, the normal body functions will resume once more. This should not affect your ovarian reserve in any significant manner.

Xuan Shi answered 2 years ago

I am 35 years old. 6 months ago, I had a miscarriage. I am healthy but I do exercise intensively, etc spinning, kickboxing etc. Could such intensive exercises cause a miscarriage? Should I stop exercising if I get pregnant again?

Wei Lin answered 2 years ago

My daughter is currently 16 years old. We noticed her period patterns are very abnormal. She will get her period once every 3 months and the flow is extremely heavy. Do I wait for her period to regularise? Will it? Or should i take her to see an obgyn?

Dr Fong Yoke Fai replied 2 years ago

It would be a good idea to see a gynaecologist, especially if she had already started her menstruation for a few years. This allows an assessment for conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome and correction if necessary. Sometimes some women with PCO can have very irregular cycles such as once in 6 months and this may not be healthy.

Julie answered 2 years ago

I am 25. This is my first pregnancy. During my fifth month, I felt some changes that worry me. I seem to respond to stimuli slower than usual. Everything feels too bright, to the point I get dizzy. And the upper part of my stomach hurts almost daily. Are these a normal part of pregnancy, doctor?

Sylvia answered 2 years ago

I am 52 years old. I thought I started my menopause last year. However, suddenly, this month, I experienced bleeding for five days. Afterwards, I felt a pressure in my lower abdomen. The pressure feels even stronger these days. Is there something wrong with my body?

Dheera answered 2 years ago

I am 32, married with no children. It has been six months since I have irregular menstruation. Sometimes it only lasts two or three days, and sometimes I can have it twice a month. Sexual intercouse is also painful. What test should I do to check my condition?

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list