Ask a Dermatologist: Dr Tan Wei Sheng from Gleneagles Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: DermatologyAsk a Dermatologist: Dr Tan Wei Sheng from Gleneagles Hospital Singapore
Tan Wei Sheng - Dokter Kulit Singapura - Dermatology (Skin) - Not Otherwise Specified (NOS)dr. Tan Wei Sheng asked 2 years ago
I am Dr Tan Wei Sheng, Medical Director and Consultant Dermatologist practicing at Gleneagles Hospital Singapore. I have more than 12 years of clinical experience and am experienced in treating both general and aesthetic dermatological conditions, having received advanced training in both medical, lasers and procedural dermatology in Singapore and Australia. I am adept at managing skin, hair and nail conditions in patients of all ages, including children. In addition, I have a subspecialty interest in treating sexual health and sexually transmitted infections, and is a local subject expert who has been featured in local Singaporean media. I recognise the frustration faced by patients with skin conditions, in particular, when these are complex and difficult to understand. I therefore endeavour to make each clinic visit light-hearted and make it a point to explain as well as address any questions or concerns that are raised. I am also a firm believer in providing holistic personalised care that will bring about the best results for each patient, whether he/she is seeking help for medical or cosmetic issues. I graduated from the National University of Singapore’s medical school in 2006 at the top of my class, having been placed on the Dean’s list consecutively for 5 years. I was awarded multiple scholarships during my medical school training in addition to receiving the Nihal Kaur Sidhu Medal. I have been practising dermatology from 2008, and completed my training in dermatology at the National Skin Centre and Singapore General Hospital in 2014. I received a Human Manpower Development Scholarship in 2015 and was attached to the Alfred Hospital/Melbourne Sexual Health Centre in 2015. Upon returning to Singapore, I was a consultant at the National Skin Centre, and was also appointed Deputy Head of the Department of STI Control/DSC Clinic. I was also a visiting consultant at the Khoo Teck Phuat and Tan Tock Seng hospitals. In recognition of the empathy and care shown to my patients, I received the Silver Star Award for excellent patient service and multiple patient compliments during my time at the National Skin Centre. I have published clinical research in major international peer-reviewed journals and have also been invited to contribute as a reviewer for these journals. I have published chapters in international dermatology textbooks and have also presented and spoken at local and international large dermatology conferences. With a passion for bedside teaching, I was appointed as Clinical tutor for the Yong Loo Lin Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore and as a Clinical teacher at the Lee Kong Chien School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University. I am a member of the Dermatological Society of Singapore and the Chapter of Dermatologists, College of Physicians, Singapore. Learn more about Gleneagles Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Dermatologic Care with everyone. Whether you've got questions about skin, hair and nail disorders (both in children and adults), sexual health or aesthetic dermatology treatments, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
17 Answers
syahroni answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have warts all all over my body. I believe the condition is inherited from my parents. The condition is very disturbing to me. What is the treatment for my condition, doc? Can I be fully cured?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

Hi there, first of all, it is important to distinguish whether what you have are viral warts , which are a very common type of skin infection caused by the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) virus or if they are Seborrhoeic Keratoses, which are a harmless benign skin growth which can increase as you age. As experienced skin specialist can help you to differentiate between the two as they can look very similar.

Viral warts can be treated with topical acid lotions or burnt off with cautery or lasers.

Seborrheoic keratoses are harmless and can be left alone. If you choose to remove them, they can also be burnt off with lasers.

Risna Hayati answered 2 years ago
Doctor, is there any medicine to treat itchy skin? I saw a doctor but the problem still persists.
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

Hi there, as there are many possible causes for why your skin is itchy, e.g. eczema or hives, It is important that you are given the correct medication and treatment targeting the underlying condition for your itch to improve.

Pandi Wijaya answered 2 years ago
Doctor, what is the solution for dry, oily skin with acne?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

If you have dry oily skin, it is important to regularly use a light water based moisturiser to ensure the skin is well hydrated without blocking the pores and causing more acne. If your skin is well hydrated, it will also ensures that it does not overproduce oil.

Arda answered 2 years ago
Doc, how does one treat tinea versicolor naturally?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

Tinea versicolor is aggravated by sweating and high humidity. Patients are recommended to keep themselves dry and to towel off/bathe after sweating. Antifungal creams and washes are usually the most effective course of treatment.

Andreas answered 2 years ago
Hello Doctor. My name is Andreas, and I am 42 years old. I have acne on my thigh. It started appearing 10 years ago, and has been multiply in quantity and growing. I saw a doctor and used topical medication, but there is no improvement. Please give me your advice, Doc. Thanks.
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

Hi Andreas, acne or folliculitis on the thighs can be helped by antiseptic/antibacterial washes and antibiotic gels. If they do not control the condition, you may require oral medications like oral antibiotics.

Prina Maulida answered 2 years ago
Doctor, there is a coin-sized lump on the back of my left hand. It is soft and spongy. Is this dangerous, Doc?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

Hi there, what you have described is possibly a ganglion or a cyst which are both harmless. However the only way to confirm this is to get it assessed by a medical professional.

Siti Mutmainah answered 2 years ago
 Doctor, what medicines treat chronic eczema? I have had eczema for years. I saw a doctor, but there is still no improvement to my condition.
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

There are many options for treating chronic eczema. Standard treatment options include using topical steroids and moisturisers.

If you eczema is extensive or difficult to treat with creams alone, you may consider using light therapy (phototherapy), oral immunosuppressants or newer injection biologic medications like Dupilumab.

Kiki answered 2 years ago
Doctor, is it ideal to whiten the skin using vitamin C? Every two weeks I get a vitamin C injection at a beauty parlour. Is there any effect to my health if I keep doing that?
Beri answered 2 years ago
 Doctor, my right shoulder is itchy. There is a small red bump on it that seems to contain water. I have been feeling itchy and hot for 1 week now. The bump also multiples and spreads when I scratch it. What problem is this doc? Should I see a dermatologist?
Jefri Widoyo answered 2 years ago
Two weeks ago, my stomach skin became irritated. It was red and itchy. I keep scratching it over again and again, and the skin is currently peeling off and feels hot. What is the medicine for this, Doc?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 2 years ago

From your description it sounds like there is dermatitis (skin inflammation) at the area. You can try applying a bland moisturiser and try to avoid peeling or scratching. A topical steroids cream or combination crema with an antibiotic will help if there is a lot of broken skin. If it does not respond you will need to see a doctor for a proper assessment to make sure it is not something else ( e.g. fungal infection etc).

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list