Ask a Dermatologist: Dr Tan Wei Sheng from Gleneagles Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: DermatologyAsk a Dermatologist: Dr Tan Wei Sheng from Gleneagles Hospital Singapore
Tan Wei Sheng - Dokter Kulit Singapura - Dermatology (Skin) - Not Otherwise Specified (NOS)dr. Tan Wei Sheng asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Tan Wei Sheng, Medical Director and Consultant Dermatologist practicing at Gleneagles Hospital Singapore. I have more than 12 years of clinical experience and am experienced in treating both general and aesthetic dermatological conditions, having received advanced training in both medical, lasers and procedural dermatology in Singapore and Australia. I am adept at managing skin, hair and nail conditions in patients of all ages, including children. In addition, I have a subspecialty interest in treating sexual health and sexually transmitted infections, and is a local subject expert who has been featured in local Singaporean media. I recognise the frustration faced by patients with skin conditions, in particular, when these are complex and difficult to understand. I therefore endeavour to make each clinic visit light-hearted and make it a point to explain as well as address any questions or concerns that are raised. I am also a firm believer in providing holistic personalised care that will bring about the best results for each patient, whether he/she is seeking help for medical or cosmetic issues. I graduated from the National University of Singapore’s medical school in 2006 at the top of my class, having been placed on the Dean’s list consecutively for 5 years. I was awarded multiple scholarships during my medical school training in addition to receiving the Nihal Kaur Sidhu Medal. I have been practising dermatology from 2008, and completed my training in dermatology at the National Skin Centre and Singapore General Hospital in 2014. I received a Human Manpower Development Scholarship in 2015 and was attached to the Alfred Hospital/Melbourne Sexual Health Centre in 2015. Upon returning to Singapore, I was a consultant at the National Skin Centre, and was also appointed Deputy Head of the Department of STI Control/DSC Clinic. I was also a visiting consultant at the Khoo Teck Phuat and Tan Tock Seng hospitals. In recognition of the empathy and care shown to my patients, I received the Silver Star Award for excellent patient service and multiple patient compliments during my time at the National Skin Centre. I have published clinical research in major international peer-reviewed journals and have also been invited to contribute as a reviewer for these journals. I have published chapters in international dermatology textbooks and have also presented and spoken at local and international large dermatology conferences. With a passion for bedside teaching, I was appointed as Clinical tutor for the Yong Loo Lin Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore and as a Clinical teacher at the Lee Kong Chien School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University. I am a member of the Dermatological Society of Singapore and the Chapter of Dermatologists, College of Physicians, Singapore. Learn more about Gleneagles Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Dermatologic Care with everyone. Whether you've got questions about skin, hair and nail disorders (both in children and adults), sexual health or aesthetic dermatology treatments, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
17 Answers
Sarah answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my boil burst and now the wound is blackened and smells. What is the solution, Doc?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 3 years ago

It sounds like there is an infection at the area. You will probably need to see a doctor to get either oral or applied antibiotics, or if there is a lot of pus within, the doctor may even need to drain it out via a minor surgery.

Gita Kalamiza answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have a 5 year old child. He used to have a boil on his hand and then it burst. Now, around the spot where the boil was, there are smaller boils, with discharge of smelly pus. Is this due to the infection from the previous boil, Doc? What is the best treatment for this?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 3 years ago

From your description it sounds like a superficial bacterial infection and he needs to see a doctor to get antibiotic treatment.

rampu answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have burns all over my right arm. The skin on my arm is blackened and vastly different from the skin on the other parts of my body. Can it be treated to look normal again?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 3 years ago

That will depend on the depth of the burn. If it was a superficial burn and the skin just peeled off, there will be some post inflammatory pigmentation which can gradually go back to normal in a few months to years. If it is a deep burn with permanent scarring, then the skin is permanently damaged and will not go back to its previous appearance.

Gamal answered 3 years ago
There are red spots on my crotch that don't hurt or itch. They do not look like they contain water/pus, they're just red. Are these dangerous?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 3 years ago

There could possibily be folliculitis or inflammation of the hair follicles, which commonly occurs at the groin due to the multiple hair follicles there. It is typically caused by skin bacteria causing inflammation of the hair root and can be treated with antiseptic washes, ointments or oral antibiotics. However without a physical examination, this will be difficult to determine exactly,, and if it persists, you should see a medical professional for a proper evaluation.

Salma answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my body itches and it looks like there is acne but the bumps contains water. I scratched them and spots have blackened and itch. What is the medicine for this?
Serly answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have a problem with hair loss. What is the cause of hair loss?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 3 years ago

There are multiple causes of hair loss, the most common cause in adults is female/male pattern hair loss. This usually affects the top of the head and the temples(in men), and spares the hairs on the sides of the head.

Alopecia Areata is a common hair problem affecting children and adults. This is caused by the immune system attacking the hair follicles, resulting in the sudden appearance of round bald patches. Less commonly, facial or body hair may also be affected.

Telogen Effluvium is the most common cause of generalised hair loss in children and also occurs post pregnancy. It occurs due to an interruption of the normal hair growth due to an acute stressor to the body: Acute illness, surgery, medications etc.

IIS NOVIANA answered 3 years ago
How to treat dark circles under the eyes, Doctor?
dr. Tan Wei Sheng replied 3 years ago

Dark eye circles can be treated with a combination of treatments. They target different aspects of the causes of the dark eye rings – these include lightening creams, laser treatments or injectable dermal fillers.

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list