I am Dr Samuel Yeak, Ear Nose Throat Specialist at Amandela ENT Head And Neck Centre based in Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital. I sub-specialise in nasal and sinus disorders. I studied medicine in the National University of Singapore (NUS) and after graduation, joined Tan Tock Seng Hospital and began specialty training in Otolaryngology (ENT). I spent a year at the prestigious Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear hospital in London and passed my fellowship examinations in Edinburg and Glasgow in the same year. My interest in sinus surgery began in London under the wings of Prof Valerie Lund, one of UK’s foremost sinus surgeons. At the same time, I also developed a passion for upper airway allergy through the influence of Prof Glenis Scadding, an eminent allergist. I completed a second fellowship in the US under the tutelage of Dr Frederick Kuhn, a world renowned sinus surgeon who pioneered many techniques in sinus surgery, especially in complex frontal sinus surgery and revision sinus surgery. My notable achievements include:
- Started Singapore’s first Rhinology laboratory for a more thorough evaluation of sino-nasal disease, including allergy testing, rhinometry, rhinomanometry, nasal smears and ciliary beat frequency
- Ran the Nose Clinic, Singapore’s first joint clinic between ENT surgeons and allergists.
- Introduced Computer Guided Sinus Surgery using the latest electromagnetic technology in Singapore.
- Head of ENT department at Tan Tock Seng Hospital for 10 years
- Senior Clinical Lecturer, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Past President for the Society of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery (Singapore)
- Chair of the Medical Credentialling Committee
- Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board for Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital
I have had a sore throat and cough for almost 2 months. I have taken various antibiotics that were prescribed by an ENT doctor through an online consultation, but it doesn’t get better. I think this is most likely gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)/laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) but I am afraid to see a doctor during this period when there's COVID-19.
I have sinusitis. Every morning when it's cold, I sneeze. Is there any medicine to treat my problem, Doc?
Doc, I am 25 years old. Four years ago, I saw an ENT specialist because I had pain in my throat. The ENT specialist said I was having inflammation although not severe and I didn’t have to undergo tonsillectomy. However, these past 2 months, I have been feeling the same pain over and over again. When I drink cold water or consume foods with flavouring, the pain in my throat returns. Should I undergo tonsillectomy, Doc?
Doctor, my son is 2 years old. These three days, I have been noticing brown viscous liquid coming out of his ear. But he has no fever. What should I do?
Doctor, I have had a polyp in my nose since 10 years ago. This past year, I am experiencing shortness of breath. It feels like there is mucus that is stuck in my nose. Is the polyp dangerous if I leave it untreated? Is there any treatment for my short breath and nose problem?
I feel pain stabbing my ears, and my ears are usually moist and smelly. I have a swimming routine where I swim 3 times a week. Is the condition of my ear due to my swimming habit?
I dug too deep into my ears when I cleaned them. Now it hurts so much. Is this a serious problem, Doc?
Doctor, I have a problem with recurring gastric acid. My throat is also in pain and my breath is short. Is there any medicine for this?