Ask a Gastroenterologist: Dr Chua Tju Siang from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Gastroenterology & HepatologyAsk a Gastroenterologist: Dr Chua Tju Siang from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore
dr. Chua Tju Siang asked 2 years ago
I am Dr Chua Tju Siang, Senior Consultant Gastroenterologist practicing at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore, Mount Elizabeth Orchard Hospital Singapore and Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore. I have clinical interest in interventional endoscopy, endoscopic retrograde cholangipancreatography (ERCP), endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD). I also have a strong interest in diseases relating to the hepato-pancreatico-biliary system as well as gastrointestinal cancers. I was awarded the Warren and Marshall Helicobacter Pylori Award by Australian Nobel laureates, Professors Robin Warren and Barry Marshall, for research into the link between various strains of Helicobacter pylori and ulcer disease. I graduated from the University of Glasgow Medical School and continued my postgraduate medical training in Scotland at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh. In 1998, I returned to Singapore and trained in gastroenterology at Changi General Hospital. I was awarded specialist accreditation in Gastroenterology in 2002. In 2003, I was awarded a one-year fellowship to train in diagnostic and interventional endoscopic ultrasonography at the Centre for Research and Education in Endosonography of Montreal, University of Montreal, Canada, where I received intensive and comprehensive training in endoscopic ultrasonography. In 2008, I spent some time at the National Cancer Centre, Japan, training in endoscopic submucosal dissection. I also spent some time at Jichi Medical University Hospital, Japan, training in double balloon enteroscopy and endoscopic submucosal dissection. A year later, I performed an endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer at Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore I have a keen interest in the development of standards for high-quality endoscopy and is a member of the Quality Assurance Subcommittee of the National Colorectal Cancer Screening Programme of Singapore. I am often invited as faculty to local and international conferences, both as a speaker as well as to demonstrate advanced endoscopic procedures. I am currently the President of Gastroenterological Society of Singapore as well as the Honorary Secretary of the Chapter of Gastroenterologists, Academy of Medicine, Singapore. Learn more about Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital here:, Mount Elizabeth Orchard Hospital here:, and Mount Alvernia Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Digestive Health issues with everyone. Whether you've got questions about digestive conditions, gastrointestinal cancers, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
18 Answers
Elvira answered 2 years ago
Doctor, at the beginning of this month, I had gastric acid reflux. The pain radiates to my back. My doctor gave me antacid and vitamins. But now, sometimes my stomach still hurts. Is it a sign of other diseases in my body?
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

If your stomach still hurts even with antacid and the pain radiates to the back, it is possible that you may have pancreas pain. I suggest you consider having a CT scan to make sure. It may also be appropriate to do an endoscopy to check out your stomach if it has been painful for longer than two weeks.

Kirma Turia answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I had an examination to check my liver function. It turned out my SGOT and SGPT are high. SGOT is around 55, SGPT is around 80. Is this a sign of dangerous conditions, Doc? What should I do?
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

These blood results means that your liver is inflamed. There are many reasons for liver inflammation – Hepatitis virus, autoimmune liver disease, fatty liver disease and even medication can cause this. You should see a hepatologist who may wish to do further blood tests to check out and find out the reason. You may also need a liver ultrasound. Treatment will then depend on the cause.

Tina W answered 2 years ago
Doctor, my epigastrium always hurts before meal times, the pain radiates to my chest. Is this a sign of disease?
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

This may be due to the gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. You should see a doctor for more detailed checkup.

Diafrida Hasanah answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I have had acid reflux this past week, it doesn’t get better after medication. What should I do?
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

Usually acid reflux will get better with medication. If it doesn't get better, then it may be necessary to perform a gastroscopy to check the stomach and then more appropriate treatment can be given.

Lidya Deda answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I have had a chronic ulcer since 5 years ago. I’ve seeked treatment everywhere but it recurs all the time. What should I do to get it totally cured?
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

It will depend where the ulcer is. I presume this ulcer is in the stomach. It is important to get biopsies of any ulcer in the stomach to make sure it is not cancerous or at risk of turning cancerous. If it has been there for five years, it is unlikely to be cancerous currently. It is also important to make sure that any bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori in the stomach is eradicated. Also any risk factors for causing stomach ulcers should be identified and corrected if possible. I would suggest discussing all these with your doctor. After treatment, it will be wise to have an endoscopy to ensure complete healing of the ulcer.

Haris Fauzan answered 2 years ago
Hi Doctor. I am a 30 year old male. Every morning I feel nauseous and I vomit. I never have breakfast, only a cup of coffee. I thought it is because of the coffee, but it persists after I stop drinking coffee.
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

This may be gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Coffee may make it worse. I would suggest a course of medication to reduce stomach acid. You may require an endoscopy to evaluate the stomach if you do not improve with medication.

Ridwan Hoesan answered 2 years ago
Dr. Chua, I’m Ridwan Hoesan. I would like to add that in early 2020, I’ve done the LAB status stool specimen quality adequate, however the results were not able to detect the type of germs, etc. Why is this so? Thank you. Sincerely, Ridwan Hoesan.
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

When a stool sample is sent to check for bacteria, the lab will usually try to grow the bacteria and will identify the major types of bacteria that cause illness. It may be that the test shows different types of non-disease causing bacteria in small numbers so no specific bacteria is significant. I am sorry but I not able to comment more on lab processes.

Almira Davita answered 2 years ago
I feel bloated and feel as though there is something moving in the upper part of my stomach, but it is like a stone. Please Doctor, give me a solution.
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

Feeling bloated after meals is relatively common but you should not be feeling something like a stone in your stomach area. You should see a doctor for an endoscopy and have a CT scan of your abdomen to be sure it is not something serious.

Lidya Deda answered 2 years ago
I am a housewife who has had chronic gastritis complaints for 5 years. A few days ago I consulted with an internist. The doctor mentioned that there is a possibility of bacteria. What kind of medicine can I take to eradicate the bacteria, Doctor? Thank you very much for the information.
dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

Your doctor is likely to be referring to Helicobacter pylori. This is a bacterium that can infect the stomach and increase the risk of stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. If you have gastric pain, you should have an endoscopy to make sure of the state of your stomach first and during that endoscopy, a biopsy can be taken to check whether the bacterium is present. If it is, you will need to take a course of antibiotics.

Tati haryati answered 2 years ago

Now, I have gastric acid reflux. I feel hungry quicker, but I am too lazy to eat. I feel my stomach bloating and nauseated. What should I do?

dr. Chua Tju Siang replied 2 years ago

If you have gastric discomfort, nausea and bloating, you should undergo endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. If it is due to gastric reflux disease, you may take medication. It is natural to feel uncomfortable if you are hungry. If you are concerned about gaining too much weight, perhaps you can consider taking medication to reduce stomach acid.

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list