Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist: Dr Edwin Thia from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Obstetrics & GynaecologyAsk an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist: Dr Edwin Thia from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore
dr. Edwin Thia asked 2 years ago
I am Dr Edwin Thia, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist based in Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital. Ask Me Anything! I received my MBBS from the National University of Singapore in 2000 and obtained my post graduate degrees MRCOG (UK), MMed (Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Singapore) in 2008. Thereafter, I achieved Specialist Accreditation with the Ministry of Health Singapore and with the Singapore Medical Council in 2010. I am a Fellow with the Academy of Medicine, College of Obstetricians & Gynaeologists, Singapore. I was the former Deputy Head and Senior Consultant for the Department of Maternal Fetal Medicine and the former Head of Obstetrics Ultrasound and Prenatal Diagnosis Unit for the Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at KK Women’s & Children’s Hospital. I am also currently a Visiting Consultant to KK Women’s & Children’s Hospital. My clinical practice encompasses all aspects of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, including minimally invasive surgeries. My interests are in the management of high-risk pregnancies, ultrasound assessment of the at-risk fetus, invasive prenatal diagnostic (amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling) and invasive prenatal therapeutic procedures. I have special interest in complicated pregnancies including monochorionic twins, fetal growth restrictions and fetal anomalies. I have contributed actively towards education. I was the Chairperson of the 9th and 10th Regional MRCOG preparatory Course for all local and regional O&G trainees and was awarded the Outstanding Faculty Award – Residency in Singhealth Excels (RiSE) Awards 2015 which recognizes the top 5% Faculty nominated by the Singhealth OBGYN ACP for my commitment and contribution to Residency. I have been a member (since 2010) and the Chairperson (since 2016) of the Scientific Committee for the Singapore ISUOG (International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology) Course. I am also a member of the local organizing committee of the 28th World ISUOG Congress to be held in Singapore in 2018. For the delivery of quality care and excellent service to his patients, I was recognized with various quality service awards – 2009 National Excellence Service Silver Award, 2014 KKH Service from the Heart Awards and 2011 Singapore Health Quality Service Silver Award. I was awarded prestigious the Singapore Health Quality Service Award – Star Award in 2013. Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Obstetrics with everyone. I will be actively answering questions. Whether you've got questions about complicated pregnancies, or how you can plan ahead for potentially high-risk pregnancies, or you want advice, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
52 Answers
Arum Pratiwi answered 2 years ago
Hello, dr. Edwin. I am now 7 months pregnant, but my baby is underweight. What should I do to keep him healthy?
dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

Estimated fetal weight calculated depends on the formula and nomogram used.

If you baby is deemed small for gestational age, you should keep healthy by keeping a healthy lifestyle, ie. eat a well balanced diet, avoid smoking/alcohol, take part in some light exercises etc.

It is important to see your doctor regularly to monitor the well-being of the baby. You should have ultrasound doppler studies of baby regularly, monitor your blood pressure and sugars.

Mawadah Indiriyani answered 2 years ago
Doctor, last month I had my period between the 25th and 2nd, but this month I have yet to have my period. Am I pregnant? Should I check the status via a pregnancy kit or just observe? Thank you
dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

If you usually have a regular 28 day cycle period, and if you have missed your period, yes, you should test to check if you are pregnant. Ideally you should check when you have missed your period for more than 1 week already

Erlin answered 2 years ago
My name is Erlin. I often have irregular menstruation periods, I have consulted with specialists and they said my hormones are imbalanced due to stress and obesity. Will this problem affect my chances of conceiving later?
dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

Dear Erlin, irregular menstruation may affect the chance of conceiving. Its important to find out the cause of the irregular menstruation and treat the underlying problem. Reducing stress and losing weight will help to improve the menstrual cycle. Its important to keep to a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthily and exercise regular. This has been shown to improve menstrual periods and improve the chance of fertility

Leony Fransiska answered 2 years ago
Hello Doctor. I undergone laparoscopy for cyst removal 2 years ago. My fallopian tube has been removed. Does it mean I can't get pregnant naturally? If I go through IVF, do I have a low chance of success?
dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

If both fallopian tubes were removed, yes, you cannot get pregnant naturally and will need to do IVF. If you still have one normal fallopian tube, then you can still get pregnant naturally.

The success rate of IVF is not affected by having no fallopian tubes. In fact, some studies have shown that if both fallopian tubes are diseased or abnormal, removing both the fallopian tubes can improve the success rate of IVF.

Ai linda answered 2 years ago

Doctor, 7 months ago I had a molar pregnancy and was treated with curettage. But I didn’t follow up. I did an ultrasound once, and the result showed my uterus was clean. I didn’t follow up further. I only did a pregnancy kit checking every week and the second line was getting blurry as time went by. It has been 7 months, sometimes the result is negative, sometimes vague. What should I do? I have my period regularly and I don’t feel any symptoms

dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

After a molar pregnancy, you would need regular follow up to ensure the pregnancy hormone (beta-hCG) is negative. There is a risk of a gestational trophoblastic neoplasm if the pregnancy hormone does not become negative. This will need further treatment by chemotherapy. Please see you local doctor to do a blood test and have a full assessment including a pelvic ultrasound scan.

Melia answered 2 years ago

Good afternoon, Doctor. My name is Amel. My period has been late for 6 days, and then I have it but it only lasts 3 days. My stomach aches, unlike my usual menstruation. I have a fever and the period is different, the blood is brighter and only lasts for 3 days. Usually I have it for 6-7 days. On the 5th day, I have blood spots, but only a few. What condition is this, Doc? Is this a sign of pregnancy?

dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

You should see your local doctor if you experience any unusual or abnormal vaginal bleeding. Pregnancy, especially ectopic pregnancy can present in the way you have described. Please see your doctor for further investigations, including a pregnancy test and a pelvic ultrasound scan.

Dinah answered 2 years ago

I want to ask. I had my first 3 months birth control injection. I should have my next injection on Nov 17th, but I forgot and only remembered on Nov 24th. When should I do pregnancy kit checking?

dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

The interval and allowed delay depends on the type of injectable contraception. If you are using Depot MedroxyProgesterone Acetate, the interval is 13 weeks and you are allowed up to 1 week delay for the next injection. So if you are supposed to have the injection on 17 Nov, but instead you had it on 24 Nov, it is within the 1 week safety delay. You do not need to do a pregnancy test since it’s within the the allowable 1 week delay. However, if you are concerned, do consult your local doctor and perform a urine pregnancy test if there is a chance of unintended pregnancy.

Hamidatuz zulfah answered 2 years ago

Is salicylic acid in skincare products dangerous for a pregnant woman?

dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

It is unlikely that salicylic acid is absorbed through the skin to cause any problems. Hence it is generally safe.

Ariani answered 2 years ago

Hello, Doctor. I am Ariani. I want to ask. I gave birth in May 2020. The breast milk flows smoothly, but in August 2020, my first child was hospitalized so I took care of him for almost a month and stopped breastfeeding until my milk won’t come out anymore. And the baby stopped breastfeeding as well. In November 2020, suddenly there is a lump growing on my left breast and it hurts. I have compressed it with warm water but to no improvement. What should I do, Doc? My left breast still discharges milk but only a drop. Thank you

dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

It is advisable to visit a breast doctor to check the painful lump in the breast. Once the milk supply has stopped, it is difficult to restart again. You can ask your doctor for some medicine to try and stimulate milk production but the success is usually low. Do see a breast doctor about the lump in the breast

Rini answered 2 years ago

Doctor, I want to ask, can a masseuse feel the movement of a fetus inside a pregnant woman?

dr. Edwin Thia replied 2 years ago

Fetal movements can usually be felt by someone after 20 weeks of pregnancy

1 2 3 6 Next »
Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list