Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon: Dr Ang Chia Liang from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Orthopaedic SurgeryAsk an Orthopaedic Surgeon: Dr Ang Chia Liang from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore
dr. Ang Chia Liang asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Ang Chia Liang, Orthopaedic Surgeon based in Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital. Ask Me Anything! I have more than 17 years of orthopaedic experience, with particular expertise in key-hole (arthroscopic) surgeries of the Knee, Hip, Shoulder and Ankle. I also sub-specialise in minimally invasive treatment of joint conditions, joint replacements, and fractures. I am experienced in treating wear-and-tear/degenerative problems, and conditions affecting the ligament, meniscus and cartilage. I have performed complex knee and hip joint replacements for patients up to 90 years old. My techniques allow my patients the benefit of fast return to walking and activity. I treat my patients using a variety of non-surgical and surgical methods, with my philosophy emphasizing on the individualisation of each patient's treatment method in order to achieve the best recovery outcomes and in order to meet the patient's expectations. I am a graduate of the National University of Singapore, with previous work experience at The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham, UK, and renowned centres in the USA under the prestigious American Orthopaedic Association-ASEAN Programme. I am also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a Member of the Singapore Orthopaedic Association, and a Member of the Singapore Medical Association. Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Bone & Joint Health with everyone. I will be actively answering questions. Whether you've got questions about orthopaedic conditions, key-hole treatments or how to maintain good bone health, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
20 Answers
Marvin answered 2 years ago

In the morning when I wake up, or after I walk for a short distance, my knees become locked and I get cramps. I will then compress my knees with ice to make them less stiff. Is my condition dangerous if I leave it untreated?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

Yes, it can lead to more cartilage damage if you leave it untreated. You should have MRI and xrays of the knees to assess the extent of damage of the cartilage.

Joseph answered 2 years ago

Doctor, I want to ask about the requirements to have a knee cap surgery. My mother is 65 and she has hypertension. Would this affect her surgery outcome? We are considering this due to severe osteoarthritis she is having in her knee.

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

In our practice, it is quite standard to do a Knee Replacement surgery in a 65-year old with hypertension. This would not affect surgery outcome.

Cyndi answered 2 years ago

I want to ask on behalf of my dad. He suffers from a locked shoulder. He cannot move it and it hurts when he lies on his side. He is 83 years old. Do you think he is fit for surgery? Is there any alternative, non-surgical procedure to treat it?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

Non-surgical procedures would mainly be repeated injections of anaesthetic and steroid into the shoulder to help relieve pain only. Fitness for surgery depends on his other medical conditions, but in general people in 80s should still be able to undergo shoulder scope surgery to treat his condition.

Hee Kwan answered 2 years ago

I have been experiencing severe neck pain that affects my sleep. The back of my neck feels stiff and tense. I have been trying to massage it by myself but it seems to make it worse because my neck is now red and swollen. What condition could this be?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

Most commonly, such symptoms can be a degenerative type of condition. However, less common causes may include congenital problems or tumour-related problems. You should seek medical attention if it is getting worse.

Yanling answered 2 years ago

I have been having severe back pain for three days in a row now. The pain is located in my upper back, below my right shoulder. I feel it when I sit down for too long. When it hits, i can’t sleep and have to take painkillers. How serious is this condition, Doctor?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

It may be hard to determine how serious it is from this description. Certainly if the pain is severe or if it persists, you should seek medical attention.

William H answered 2 years ago

My grandmother had a hip dislocation three months ago. After rehabilitation, the pain is gone but she has been complaining about feeling an electric current sometimes in her hip which makes her lower body numb. Is this a normal side effect?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

Following a hip dislocation, it is not uncommon to have electric current and numbness, due to stretching of the sciatic nerve behind the hip. The patient can take medications to help reduce these symptoms.

Diana answered 2 years ago

My father had a plate inserted in his neck spine some years back as he was feeling pressure in his nerves. However, since the surgery, he has always complained about numbness in his whole body. We have tried buying him massage guns, doing cupping etc but all those do not help him. Is there anything else we can do to help make him feel better?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

What you describe is not uncommon. Nerve problems may leave some long-term static disturbances. The numbness you describe may be due to a permanent state of the nerves being too sensitive. Some other options may include nerve vitamins/medications to de-sensitise the nerve and daily walking in the pool/swimming. These may help.

Francis answered 2 years ago

My mother is 67 years old. Recently she’s been complaining about feeling pain in her left hip. The area is red and swollen and it feels like there is a bump. Is this something that needs to be looked at by a doctor or is it part of aging?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

Innocuous causes for what you describe may be soft tissue irritation. However, serious causes may include infection or tumours. Yes, you should seek medical attention.

Yu Kang answered 2 years ago

Why do I often suffer from slipped disc? It feels like my body is prone to it everytime I do a bit of exercise. I am 55 years old this year. Is my spine degenerating?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

Your spine is likely degenerated. When this happens, the structural biomechanical strength of the spine is weakened, and thus it becomes easier and easier to aggravate the condition as the years go by. Therefore, you feel that it is easy for the pain to come back even with just a little exercise. Such chronic problems can be managed with daily management techniques such as avoiding aggravating activities, doing core strengthening exercises, and trying some supplements, with spinal injection therapy during times of worsened or recurrent pain. End-stage conditions with persistent pain can be very well-treated with surgery.

WJ answered 2 years ago

My grandmother has been feeling severe pain in both her knees. She is 70 and needs a stick to walk. Is this osteoporosis? What treatment would you recommend for her?

dr. Ang Chia Liang replied 2 years ago

This is likely Osteoarthritis of the knees, not Osteoporosis. The two terms are different, even though it is also very common for elderly females to have some degree of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis refers to thinning out of the bone structure, and mainly causes symptoms only if a patient suffers a bone fracture. Osteoarthritis, which your grandmother likely has, refers to degeneration of the tissues within the knee and is the most common cause of severe pain affecting walking at this age. At this age, the most effective and permanent treatment would be a knee replacement procedure, which my centre specialises in. She can undergo the treatment one side at a time. This removes pain and is very likely a permanent treatment for her condition.

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list