Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon: Dr Lai Choon Hin from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Orthopaedic SurgeryAsk an Orthopaedic Surgeon: Dr Lai Choon Hin from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore
dr. Lai Choon Hin asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Lai Choon Hin, Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon based in Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital. I have over 30 years experience, with expertise in all forms of treatment and surgery for the hip, knee, neck and back, shoulder, elbow, foot and ankle, ligaments injuries and fractures. I have extensive experience in joint replacements of hip and knee of patients with Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, SLE, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Avascular Necrosis and repeat surgery of failed joint replacments which has loosened, worn out or damaged. I received my advanced training in hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and ankle and tumour surgery and worked for 2 years in the Mayo Clinic, USA. At the Mayo Clinic, I learned and used the anterolateral approach for hip replacement, having a zero rate of hip dislocation compared to the posterior approach for hip replacement surgery commonly used in Singapore. I do minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery, computer navigation surgery, and robotic surgery for hip and knee surgery. I was former Director and senior consultant, Adult Reconstruction Service, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, performing joint replacement and reconstruction surgeries for arthritis, sports injuries and fractures of the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow, foot and ankle for more than 20 years. I was President, Singapore Orthopaedic Association in 2007 and founded the ASEAN Arthroplasty Association (AAA) to teach doctors in Orthopaedics in ASEAN countries. I have published in Current Orthopedics and Clinical Research, Journal of Trauma and The Knee, and presented at the American Academy of Orthopedic Association (AAOS), Mayo Clinic Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Courses, Mayo Clinic Alumni Meetings, International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), Asia-Pacific Arhtroplasty Society (APAS), Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Society (APOS) and international conferences in China, India, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and ASEAN nations. Learn more about Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Bone & Joint Health with everyone. Whether you've got questions about orthopaedic conditions, joint replacements, key-hole treatments or how to maintain good bone health, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
35 Answers
Indarwati Rahman answered 3 years ago
What is the medicine for pain on the back of the knee?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

We will need to examine your knee and do xrays to see if there is any arthritis or fracture. If there is arthritis, I would encourage you to go for physiotherapy and take celebrex 200mg once a day. If there is a fracture, you will need surgery.

Nuri nuraini answered 3 years ago
Morning, Doctor. I often feel pain on my spine and the bone right above the bottom. What problem is this, Doc? Thank you
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Based on the description you provided, this appears to be either a degeneration of the intervertebral disc or sacroiliac joint.

Maulana answered 3 years ago
 Doctor, I am 35 years old but my back is stiff and aches easily. I have a habit of asking my children to press my stiff back until it cracks. Can this habit make my bone porous quicker? Would you mind giving me some advice on keeping my bones healthy?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Based on the description you provided, it sounds like there’s some degeneration of the spine. I would encourage you to go for physiotherapy, do back exercises or core muscle training, and take calcium and vit D.

JHONS answered 3 years ago
Good afternoon, Doctor. My name is Jhon, and I am 40 years old. Lately I feel pain around my right arm and shoulder - maybe once a week. The pain starts slowly, creeping to the right neck and then my head aches and cannot be twisted around. What is the cause, Doc? And what is the solution? Please give me your advice. Thanks
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Hi Jhon. From the description you provided, it looks like you have neck problems such as cervical spondylosis. You will need to take x-rays of your neck and shoulder in order to confirm the problem. If the problem is indeed cervical spondylosis, you should take:
-celebrex 200mg daily
-neurobion 1 three times a day
-lyrica 50mg at night

MARSELLINA answered 3 years ago
Good evening, Doctor. My right shoulder blade aches and the pain goes through my head and right nape. What is the medicine for this? What problem do I have, Doc?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

From your description, it sounds like the pain is probably from neck cervical spondylosis. You should take celebrex 200mg daily, lyrica 50mg twice a day, and neurobion 1 tab three times a day.

Ibu Zaenah answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my right knee sometimes hurts. What should I do?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Can I find out how old you are, and if you’re suffering from any injury? Please consider going for an x-ray to determine the cause of the pain in your right knee. If you have no fracture or injury as seen from the x-ray, you can consider taking celebrex 200mg daily.

Kumala answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I am only 33 years old but if I sit for a long time, my tailbone hurts. Is this a sign of disease? Should I see a doctor?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Have you experienced a fall before? I would advise you to get an xray of your sacrum and coccyx to exclude fracture or tumor in your tailbone.

Zusye Gumalang answered 3 years ago
My husband has a problem with his feet. If he stands for too long, his feet will cramp up. It has been 1 year. Can you give me advice to treat this?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Can I find out how old is your husband, and does he have diabetes? I would recommend you to check in with a doctor to find out if he has vascular disease or spinal disease. If he does not suffer from either diseases, he can try taking vitamin B complex.

Risma Idayanti answered 3 years ago
My brother had an accident and now he can’t move his neck. I don’t want to bring him to a traditional masseuse. But if I take him to an orthopaedist, would the treatment be surgery or can he be treated with other methods?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

Your brother will need to do an x-ray before any treatment – the doctor will decide on the appropriate treatment after reviewing the X-ray.

Yoshua answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have been feeling pain on my butt bone and the base of my thigh for 1 week. I've never experienced a fall before. But I've started to feel this pain when I spend more time sitting and working. When I was a field officer, I spent most of the time moving. Is it possible for my bones to be porous if I sit too much? Are there any tips for me to have strong bones despite spending so much time sitting for work?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 3 years ago

No I do not think you are suffering from osteoporosis. You can take calcium and vitamin D, and do more exercise. Do also try and walk more and sit less.

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list