Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon: Dr Lai Choon Hin from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Orthopaedic SurgeryAsk an Orthopaedic Surgeon: Dr Lai Choon Hin from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital Singapore
dr. Lai Choon Hin asked 2 years ago
I am Dr Lai Choon Hin, Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon based in Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital. I have over 30 years experience, with expertise in all forms of treatment and surgery for the hip, knee, neck and back, shoulder, elbow, foot and ankle, ligaments injuries and fractures. I have extensive experience in joint replacements of hip and knee of patients with Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, SLE, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Avascular Necrosis and repeat surgery of failed joint replacments which has loosened, worn out or damaged. I received my advanced training in hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and ankle and tumour surgery and worked for 2 years in the Mayo Clinic, USA. At the Mayo Clinic, I learned and used the anterolateral approach for hip replacement, having a zero rate of hip dislocation compared to the posterior approach for hip replacement surgery commonly used in Singapore. I do minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery, computer navigation surgery, and robotic surgery for hip and knee surgery. I was former Director and senior consultant, Adult Reconstruction Service, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, performing joint replacement and reconstruction surgeries for arthritis, sports injuries and fractures of the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow, foot and ankle for more than 20 years. I was President, Singapore Orthopaedic Association in 2007 and founded the ASEAN Arthroplasty Association (AAA) to teach doctors in Orthopaedics in ASEAN countries. I have published in Current Orthopedics and Clinical Research, Journal of Trauma and The Knee, and presented at the American Academy of Orthopedic Association (AAOS), Mayo Clinic Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Courses, Mayo Clinic Alumni Meetings, International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), Asia-Pacific Arhtroplasty Society (APAS), Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Society (APOS) and international conferences in China, India, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and ASEAN nations. Learn more about Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Bone & Joint Health with everyone. Whether you've got questions about orthopaedic conditions, joint replacements, key-hole treatments or how to maintain good bone health, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
35 Answers
Kevin Ang answered 2 years ago
Hello doctor. My daughter is 15 years old. Her feet are O-shaped. It pains me to see people making fun of her. Is there any way to treat this?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

Your daughter will need to undergo xrays of her feet to determine what are the bone problems she’s facing before we decide on the treatment.

Kristin Yuliani answered 2 years ago
I fell down and sprained my ankle last month. I went to a traditional masseuse. For 1 month, it went well. But now my ankle is swollen. What is the solution, Doc? 
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

It looks like you tore your ankle ligament. You should undergo an xray to see if there is a fracture. If there is no fracture, take celebrex and go for physiotherapy.

Amar Daulay answered 2 years ago
Hello doctor. I experience pain from the base of my thigh to my feet, especially when I stand for too long. Please give me your advice. What is the medicine for this? Thank you
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

It looks like spinal stenosis. You should undergo an xray and MRI Spine to confirm the diagnosis. In terms of medication, consider taking neurobion, lyrica and celebrex and go for physiotherapy. If your condition is not better in 6 weeks’ time, you may need surgery.

Ross Wolff answered 2 years ago
Is there any medicine for rheumatic arthritis, doctor? Thank you
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

You need to see a rheumatologist to confirm the diagnosis and take the medicine prescribed by the rheumatologist.

Zusye Gumalang answered 2 years ago
Doctor, my husband’s feet cramp up after standing for 5 minutes, with the cramp radiating all the way to his belly button. What disease is this? What is the medicine? Occasionally, he will have to find a seat as he cannot bear to stand for too long.
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

This sounds like vascular disease. You will need to go and see a vascular surgeon.

M.amin answered 2 years ago
I have had pain in my spine for 3 months. My temperature also fluctuates between hot and cold in the morning. What problem is this, Doc?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

You may have an infection in your spine. You will need to see a doctor to get an xray and blood tests done and let your doctor decide on the treatment.

Niken answered 2 years ago
Doctor, my brother is 11 years old. He complains about the pain in his tailbone - making it difficult for him to stand. It has been 1 month since his condition. Three days ago, he fell into a sitting position. He still feels the pain now. Before experiencing this pain, my brother spent too much time sitting with his gadget; sometimes he does sit up without a mattress. What is the solution, Doc? Is this serious?
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

Your brother may be suffering from a tailbone injury. You will need to take your brother to see a doctor and get x-rays done.

Sulanti Soei answered 2 years ago
I am 68 years old. I feel pain on my back, near the left shoulder blade. I've given my shoulder a massage, applied balm, patches, but the pain remains. Why is this so, Doc? Thank you
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

The pain is probably from your neck or thoracic spine. You will need to get x-rays done to determine if there is a fracture or infection. If there is no fracture or infection, you will need to go for physiotherapy and take celebrex.

Rusmeni Manik answered 2 years ago
Doctor, my name is Rosmeni, and I am 52 years old. The bone in my foot and the joint often hurts and have a tingling sensation. What are the appropriate medicines? What should I do? Thank you
dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

Hi Rosmeni, you may have a nerve impingement in your spine causing foot pain and numbness or you can have problems in the foot itself. You will need to go for x-rays of both our spine and foot, and ankle, to let your doctor decide which is the source of pain.

Francis Chia answered 2 years ago

Doctor, my mother-in-law Mdm Poon under ur care when you are in TTSH previously and had successful operation done by you for her 2 knees. Her quality of life had improved past years.

i am 63 male with knees issues getting serious of late in particular my right knee. i am into badminton in my younger days. i am on appointment with another doctor for now. Currently following physio. Just that on off, my right knee makes it difficult for me to walk normally. X-ray shows my right knee, the left inside, has no more cartilage, rubbing each other. i experienced aching 3/4 inch below my right knee cap with extensive walking that i had to walk with a limp. i am not sure if i should consider surgery soon or wait.

dr. Lai Choon Hin replied 2 years ago

Hi, I am glad you remember me. Glad to hear your mother in law did well with her surgeries on her knees

I will need to see your knee xrays to decide if you should try gel injection or go for surgery
please contact me for appointment if you want a 2nd opinion


Keen to contact Dr Lai Choon Hin? Fill your details in the form in this link

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list