Ask a Urologist: Dr Lincoln Tan from Gleneagles Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: UrologyAsk a Urologist: Dr Lincoln Tan from Gleneagles Hospital Singapore
dr. Lincoln Tan asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Lincoln Tan, a Consultant Urologist, and accredited Robotic Surgeon based in Gleneagles Hospital Singapore. Prior to my private practice, I was the former Director of Urologic Oncology at the National University Hospital (NUH) and National Cancer Institute of Singapore (NCIS). I am currently Visiting Consultant at NUH. I am trained in all aspects of open and endoscopic urology and specialise in the minimally invasive treatment of urologic cancers. My particular interests are in laparoscopic and robotic-assisted surgery, particularly for the management of prostate and kidney cancer. My subspecialty interest is in the care of men with all stages of prostate cancer, especially in advanced prostate cancer diagnostics to reduce unnecessary prostate biopsies, and the performance of safer, more accurate prostate biopsies. I was one of the first doctors to introduce free hand office based transperineal prostate biopsies into Singapore. Transperineal prostate biopsies are safer than the standard transrectal biopsies performed in most centres. My clinic is currently the only centre offering freehand transperineal MRI-guided targeted prostate biopsies in Singapore. I was the principal investigator in the first study in South East Asia to validate the use of the Prostate Health Index test to better risk stratify men at risk of prostate cancer, reducing unnecessary prostate biopsies. I am available for teleconsultation and second opinions for complex cancer-related and other urological conditions. My experience includes:
  • Graduated medical school at the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2001
  • Postgraduate surgical degrees from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2006, and Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 2011
  • Masters in Surgery from National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2007
  • Completed Advanced Specialty Training at NUH
  • College of Surgeons Gold Medal from the Academy of Medicine Singapore, awarded to the top Advanced Urological Trainee
  • Completed my fellowship in Urologic Oncology and Laparoscopic and Tele-Robotic Urologic Surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Australia in 2013
Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Urological Health with everyone. Ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
40 Answers
Roger answered 2 years ago

The tip of my penis is red and feels numb. When I urinate, the tip feels hot. What sort of condition is this?

Adrian Ong answered 2 years ago
Dear Dr Tan, i am a 35yo male with diabetes on metformin and glyxambi. Experiencing balanitis and phimosis. my foreskin can barely retract and the foreskin turn red or swollen easily, especially after masturbation. Will it be advisable to get a circumcision?
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 2 years ago

Yes, you should definitely get a circumcision. Diabetes and Glyxambi are known to cause infection of the penis, especially if the foreskin cannot be retracted for proper hygiene

Tyler answered 2 years ago

I have a habit of using this product called magic tissue (Note from SH: it’s a product used to boost sexual performance) before intercourse. I started using it 5 years ago. However, recently the effectiveness seems to have gone away and my penis is numb all the time, even when I am not having intercourse. Do I need to get myself examined by a doctor?

tan answered 2 years ago
Hi Doctor Tan, Have suspected TCC Ureter. Doctor suggest radical nephrectomy. Is there other option than nephrectomy? i.e. Ureter replacement etc?
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 2 years ago

The standard treatment for TCC ureter is radical nephroureterectomy which is removal of the both the kidney and ureter. The reason for this is the cells that are in the ureter are in continuity with the cells in the kidney, so they may also be affected by cancer in the future.
However, if the cancer in the ureter is low stage or low grade, we can consider kidney sparing surgery by removing only the part of the ureter with cancer. In some cases, we may also just remove the tumour endoscopically, and not have to remove the diseased portion of ureter.
I would suggest a review with a urologist subspecialised in urological cancers for a second opinion.

Simon Lo answered 2 years ago
Hello Doctor, my CT scan result shows a 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.3 cm staghorn calculus in the left kidney with mild hydronephrosis. Smaller calcului are noted in the left mid pole ( 9 x 6 mm ) & lower pole (7 x 3 mm & 2mm). Urothelium of the left renal pelvis is thickened and there is a slight kink at the pelviureteric junction. Kindly advice which treatment is most suitable & safest to remove the stone ? Thank you.
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 2 years ago

The procedure with the best chance of complete clearance of this large volume of stone is a combination of supine PCNL (percutaneous nephrolithotomy) and RIRS (retrograde intrarenal surgery). However, this is an invasive procedure with a small risk of bleeding from the kidney.
An alternative is insertion of a DJ stent and multiple session of ESWL which is a non invasive procedure done under sedation. However, with this volume of stone – should be prepared for at least 2-3 sessions.

Sam answered 2 years ago
Hi Doctor I have repeated frenulum tear whenever I have vigorous sexual intercourse. It happened during the orgasm where the penis fully erected inside the vagina. Is this something unusual what can I do? I don't encounter this problem when it isn't fully erected
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 2 years ago

It sounds like you have a short frenulum that becomes tight when you have an erection. This condition is called frenulum breve. It can be treated with a simple 5min operation. You can read up more on this condition here –

Jason answered 2 years ago
Hi I'm a young guy in my early 20s but for the past few months I have the constant urge to urinate with no pain. Tried a couple of medications for overactive bladder but nothing has worked. UTI and prostate issues has been ruled out, and even ultrasounds and urodynamics study came back with no issues found. I really lost at this point and not sure what could be the issue? My urologist simply said stress but I'm not sure how do I make it stop. Have you seen cases like this and what would you recommend?
Kendrick Kek answered 1 year ago
Hi Dr Tan is ureaplasma parvum being tested in your clinic for male with prostatitis symptoms?
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 1 year ago

No, this is a complicated condition which I cannot answer based on the information given. You will need a detailed review of your symptoms, a bladder diary as well as the tests done with a urologist.

X2 answered 1 year ago
Hi Dr Tan is ureaplasma parvum being tested in your clinic for male with prostatitis symptoms?
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 1 year ago

No, this is a complicated condition which I cannot answer based on the information given. You will need a detailed review of your symptoms, a bladder diary as well as the tests done with a urologist.

Mr KC answered 1 year ago
hi dr, i was diagnosed with epididymo-orchitis . my right testicle is swollen and feel hardened for about almost 10days....i feel some pain when sitting or walking...the swollen does not seem to get any better after been hospitalised for 5 days under observation and being treated with antibiotics - doxycycline , rocephine for dripping while in hospital, ciprofloxacin. usually how long does the swollen testee subside ? i done not hernia, not scrotum torsion...and above is the diagnosed outcome. i worry becos my next medical appt is 6 weeks time...but now into 10days of medication, still feel pain and swollen and hardened....ths condition is it common after 10 days ? the current testee hardened condtion worried me becos will it be too late to be review in 6 weeks time or is better for me to do an ultrasound asap?
dr. Lincoln Tan replied 1 year ago

You will need an in-person review by a urologist. If you wish to book a consultation with me, please kindly contact my clinic at 6732 6503

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list