Ask a Urologist: Dr Ong Chin Hu from Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: UrologyAsk a Urologist: Dr Ong Chin Hu from Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore
dr. Ong Chin Hu asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Ong Chin Hu, Consultant Urologist at Ace Urology Clinic & Surgery based in Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore. I graduated with my Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Honours) from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia and completed my Basic Surgical Training with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Thereafter, I further my Advanced Surgical Urology training at Alexandra Hospital, Singapore and National University Hospital, Singapore. I underwent my fellowship training on Uro-oncology and Reconstructive Urology under distinguished Urologist, Professor Urs Studer at the Bern University Hospital, Switzerland. One year later, I worked as the Laparoscopic Uro-oncology & Stone Surgery Fellow at Nepean Hospital (teaching hospital of University of Sydney) in Sydney, Australia under Professor M Khadra. I was the Japanese Urological Association (JUA) International Foundation Scholar in 2012, for which I received further training in Robotic Surgery under Professor Masato Fujisawa at Kobe University Hospital, Japan. I have Fellowship recognition from various international institutions including the Academy of Medicine, Singapore, the European Board of Urology, and the Royal College of Surgeons’ of Glasgow. I am currently a visiting Urologist to Mount Elizabeth Hospital (Orchard & Novena), Gleneagles Hospital, Mt Alvernia Hospital and Parkway East Hospital. I am also the assistant renal transplant surgeon with the National Organ Transplant Unit (NOTU). The areas of practice I look into include:
  • Screening and treatment of haematuria (blood in urine)
  • Screening and treatment of abnormal PSA (prostate cancer screening)
  • Urinary tract stones/kidney Stones
  • Prostate, Kidney, Bladder and Testicular Cancers
  • Minimally invasive, Endoscopic & Robotic Urological surgery
  • Male & Female Urinary tract symptoms e.g. BPH, LUTS, Voiding dysfunction.
  • Urinary tract Infections (Male & Female) e.g. recurrent UTIs, Prostatitis -Male Sexual Dysfunction e.g. erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation.
  • Sexually Transmitted Disease
  • Male andropause (late onet hypogonadism)
  • Male Circumcision (above 12 year-old), Vasectomy etc.
Learn more about Mount Alvernia Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Urological Health with everyone. Ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
37 Answers
Ayu answered 3 years ago
Doctor, it has been 1 week since my 9 year old son has been experiencing fresh blood close to the end of his urine stream. The urine test shows no bacteria. He was given antibiotics but there was no improvement. We took him to an urologist. The USG showed both of his kidneys are good, but there was thickening of his bladder, with suspected bladder tumor. He was advised to have a CT Scan. Is it possible for a child to have a bladder tumor? If so, what is the cause? What is the treatment?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

At 9 years old, it is un-likely that your son has a bladder tumour.

However he needs investigation for his blood in the urine to determine the cause, and usually that would involve a CT scan and Cystoscopy (scope procedure to look into the bladder).

Phie Lian Siu answered 3 years ago
Doctor, when I urinate, I feel my penis is burning. What is the cause, doctor? My USG and urine test showed no problems. Please give me your answer, Doc. Thank you
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Your symptom is consistent with a urinary tract infection. I am surprised that your Urine test is normal.
Perhaps you would like to repeat your urine test again, and if it is normal and your symptom is persistent – you may need a Cystocopy (scope procedure to look at the lower urinary tract) to properly examine your urinary tract and find out the cause of your pain.

Henny Widjaja answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I am 46 years old. I was diagnosed with 4.8cm myoma. Since 3 months ago, I have been urinating quite often. Is it possible that my myoma is pressing on my bladder, Doc? Thank you
Dani Sulung answered 3 years ago
Doctor, how do we know if we have watery sperm? Can it only be detected by a doctor? And if so, how can I cure it?
Moch Zaenuri answered 2 years ago
Post bladder surgery & catheter removal, my lower abdomen often hurts and I frequently urinate. Sometimes my urine is unable to be produced, and it hurts a little, and there are also blood clots in my urine occasionally. The surgery was done on 20 July 2020 & the catheter was removed on 4 August 2020. Could you explain why, Doctor?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

It is common to have some the symptoms you mentioned after a bladder surgery.
It is all part of the process of healing.
During healing phase of a bladder, you will have irritative symptoms of bladder namely pain, urinary frequency and feeling of in-complete emptying. You may also have some bleeding from the inner wounds of the bladder. with clots.
I am sure once your bladder heals (about 1 month after the operation), most of these symptoms would resolve itself.

ar answered 2 years ago

Hi Dr Ong,

on behalf of my significant other, is it going to be difficult for a 23 year old unmarried male in a committed relationship to get a vasectomy? Will doctors strongly discourage him or even reject although he's made a conscious and informed decision to never have children? I read that most men who get vasectomies are in their 30s and married with children. He's very sure of it so he'd like to get it done soon without ending up seeing different urologists if he gets turned away or told that he 'will change his mind later' since he's young. What's your say? Thank you.

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

You asked a very valid question.
Vasectomy is usually considered a “permanent” form of contraceptive for men. Whilst it is in fact “not permanent”, it should be treated as such as any attempt to reverse the vasectomy is technically more complicated and may not be successful.
As such, most guys decide on Vasectomy only when they have completed their family or had a child/children of their own.
Your “significant other” is still very young and whilst he may be very committed that he would not want to have children in future, we know with time and age, or with change in relationship and social situation – sometimes though rarely we may change our mind.
If he is fully aware of these possibilities and it is an informed and carefully thought decision – then perhaps a Urologist would be agreeable to perform Vasectomy for him.

Victor Chan answered 2 years ago

I am 35 years old this year. I have noticed that of late I need to go to the toilet a lot, and everytime I go, there is very little urine. I almost feel as though I have to force myself to urinate to empty my bladder or else I will keep waking up at night to pee. I drink quite a lot of Coke, almost 2-3 cans a day. Is this due to a fizzy drink problem or is there something wrong with my bladder?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Given your young age, the most likely cause of your frequent toileting at night (nocturia) is Overactive Bladder Syndrome (OAB).
You need to see a Urologist to do some basic investigations i.e. urine tests and ultrasound of kidneys and bladder before this diagnosis can be made.
OAB is a condition whereby your bladder becomes over sensitive and makes you feel like passing urine frequently even when there is minimal urine in the bladder.
The problem may be triggered or exacerbated by certain food or beverages – and in your case the fizzy drink or Coke may be a potential cause.
So I suggest you may want to stop or reduce your consumption of those drinks, and if it does not improve – your Urologist can prescribe some medicines to treat it.

Nicole answered 2 years ago

The smell of my urine is extremely strong, and after urination, I feel a warm sensation. I am female. I have tried drinking more water to reduce the stench of the urine but it doesn’t seem to help. Is this a medical condition? What can I do for it?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question.
Although our fresh urine has a particular smell, it should not be overly strong or odour. Given your symptoms of smelly urine and “warm sensation”, there is a probability that you may have a urinary tract infection (UTI).
You ought to see your doctor to have your urine checked i.e chemical, microscopic and culture examination exclude UTI. If such is the case, you can be treated with antibiotics and your symptoms should resolve.

Pei Zhen answered 2 years ago

I am a 40 year old female. In January this year, I went for kidney stone surgery. My condition seemed to improve until last week, where I started waking up at night and needing to pee. However, when I get to the toilet, my urine does not flow. In the day, I can urinate normally. What condition is this? Why does it only happen at night?

Nazreen answered 2 years ago

There is a small purple lump on the base of my penis. It has been there for a week. It is not painful or itchy, but I am concerned about this. Do you think I need to have it checked?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Yes you do need to have it checked by a doctor or a Urologist.
A lump there can be a benign skin lump or more seriously a cancer, so it would be best it is examined by your doctor.

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list