Ask a Urologist: Dr Ong Chin Hu from Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: UrologyAsk a Urologist: Dr Ong Chin Hu from Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore
dr. Ong Chin Hu asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Ong Chin Hu, Consultant Urologist at Ace Urology Clinic & Surgery based in Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore. I graduated with my Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Honours) from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia and completed my Basic Surgical Training with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Thereafter, I further my Advanced Surgical Urology training at Alexandra Hospital, Singapore and National University Hospital, Singapore. I underwent my fellowship training on Uro-oncology and Reconstructive Urology under distinguished Urologist, Professor Urs Studer at the Bern University Hospital, Switzerland. One year later, I worked as the Laparoscopic Uro-oncology & Stone Surgery Fellow at Nepean Hospital (teaching hospital of University of Sydney) in Sydney, Australia under Professor M Khadra. I was the Japanese Urological Association (JUA) International Foundation Scholar in 2012, for which I received further training in Robotic Surgery under Professor Masato Fujisawa at Kobe University Hospital, Japan. I have Fellowship recognition from various international institutions including the Academy of Medicine, Singapore, the European Board of Urology, and the Royal College of Surgeons’ of Glasgow. I am currently a visiting Urologist to Mount Elizabeth Hospital (Orchard & Novena), Gleneagles Hospital, Mt Alvernia Hospital and Parkway East Hospital. I am also the assistant renal transplant surgeon with the National Organ Transplant Unit (NOTU). The areas of practice I look into include:
  • Screening and treatment of haematuria (blood in urine)
  • Screening and treatment of abnormal PSA (prostate cancer screening)
  • Urinary tract stones/kidney Stones
  • Prostate, Kidney, Bladder and Testicular Cancers
  • Minimally invasive, Endoscopic & Robotic Urological surgery
  • Male & Female Urinary tract symptoms e.g. BPH, LUTS, Voiding dysfunction.
  • Urinary tract Infections (Male & Female) e.g. recurrent UTIs, Prostatitis -Male Sexual Dysfunction e.g. erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation.
  • Sexually Transmitted Disease
  • Male andropause (late onet hypogonadism)
  • Male Circumcision (above 12 year-old), Vasectomy etc.
Learn more about Mount Alvernia Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Urological Health with everyone. Ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
37 Answers
Richard answered 2 years ago

I am taking antibiotics to treat my UTI. But since I started taking the antibiotics, my urine is brown in color. Is this a normal reaction or an indication of the infection getting worse?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Some medicines or antibiotics are known to cause changes in our urine colour and smell.
Most of these changes are benign and due to the chemical or pigments excreted in the urine.
However some antibiotics can cause toxicity to the liver, resulting in jaundice and dark coloured urine.
Hence, it is advisable for you to stop the antibiotic and check with your doctor who prescribed the antibiotic.

Shamla answered 2 years ago

I heard that kidney stones can be cured with medication? Is this true? And is medication effective to prevent the stones from recurring?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Most kidney stones are made of crystals of calcium and oxalate. Unfortunately, there is no oral medicine that would actually dissolve and “cure” the stones.

Only a small minority (about 5-10%) of kidney stones are made of uric acid crystal (“gout” crystals) and this group of stones can be treated with oral medication that alkalinise the urine.

At individual level, your urologist is the best person to advise you if your stone can be treated with medication.

Dejin answered 2 years ago

Doctor, how frequent does urination have to be in order for it to be classified as an overactive bladder? And is this a serious problem?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Urinary frequency is one of the few features of Overactive Bladder Syndrome (OAB). There is no universally accepted frequency to classify someone as having an OAB, but in general a normal person can pass urine up to 9 times a day depending on his/her fluid intake. For diagnosis for OAB, one also must have urinary frequency, urgency and in some patients urge in-continence as well.

OAB is ideally diagnosed by a Urologist as he/she has the specialist skill and knowledge e.g. examination and cystoscopy to exclude other serious underlying causes e.g. cancer, stone, interstitial cystitis or infection that can manifest as symptoms of OAB.

When these serious diagnoses are excluded, OAB can be treated safely with medications and other interventions.

Rein answered 2 years ago

There is a bulge in my lower abdomen, just above my penis. It doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t feel like it’s normal. Is this bulge normal in older men? I am 56 years old.

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

The bulge is medically termed “suprapubic fat” and is more prominent when one is obese and older.
You may want to consider exercise and losing some weight and hopefully the bulge would reduce in size.

Guan Seng answered 2 years ago

I suffered some light scrapes along the shaft of my penis after sexual activity. It stings lightly when in contact with water or soap. Do I need to apply cream on it? How do I know if it’s serious enough for me to see a doctor?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

You likely have mild abrasion of penile skin which should heal spontaneously.
However if you are concern, it is always best to have the “lesion” reviewed by your doctor.

Liling answered 2 years ago

My husband is having a fever and says there is pain in the middle of his penis. He is urinating a lot and his urine feels warmer than usual. Is he having an infection? Would antibiotics from the pharmacy help?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Yes, your husband sounds like he is having a urinary tract infection (UTI).
He should see a doctor to have his urine tested and if the doctor feel it is a UTI – he/she will start him on an appropriate antibiotic.

Joshua answered 2 years ago

Is it normal for someone to have recurring prostatitis? I took medication for it around two years ago, but now I am experiencing the symptoms again. Should I be worried about prostate cancer knowing that the symptoms returned after 2 years?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Yes, prostatitis is known to have a relapsing and remitting course for some patients.
During an episode of acute prostatitis, the inflammation usually settles down with a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory.

However as the prostate gland has many acini (small tiny glans like pockets or caves), the infection or inflammation may not have been completely eliminated. Over time, some of these acini can re-emerge as a new focus of infection and spread to other parts of the organs, in which it will manifest as another episode of “prostatitis” for the patient.

The good news is there is no clear causal relationship between prostatitis and prostate cancer.
But both diseases are common and can occur concurrently in a patient.
Hence it is best that your prostatitis be managed by a Urologist, who is also constantly on the look-out for underlying prostate cancer.

Wei quan answered 2 years ago

I feel as though my penis is extra sensitive. When I have sexual intercourse i often experience premature ejaculation. Even after, the tingling sensation persists and can last for hours. Is this a urological problem? What should I do?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Being extra-sensitive at your penis predisposes you to premature ejaculations. It is a very common form of sexual dysfunction amongst men.
You may overcome this with the help of your partner by sharing with her your problem. Once she is aware of your problem, then both of you can attenuate the level of arousal to prevent the premature ejacuation. If it does not work, then you should seek advice of a Urologist, who can prescribe some medicines which can treat your premature ejaculation.

Yong Chuen answered 2 years ago

I went for kidney stone surgery 2 years ago. My condition got better after. However, I’m feeling pain around my lower abdomen again, especially when I urinate. Can kidney stones recur?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

Yes definitiely! Anyway who has previous history of kidney stones has up to 50% chance of re-currence of stone disease.
So I would advise that you see your Urologist to have an assessment again.

Rashid answered 2 years ago

Why does my urine flow always feel blocked in the morning? Is this normal considering I already limit my water intake two hours before sleep?

dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 2 years ago

I assume you are a male and about middle-age, as the symptoms you describe are quite common for patients with an enlarged prostate i.e. BPH.
When the prostate is enlarged, it can block the urine channel (urethra) out from the bladder and causes slow stream and feeling of blockage when you pass urine.
If this problem affects you significantly, you should see a Urologist to assess your urinary tract and prostate.

Your Question

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list