- Centre For Orthopaedics And Hip And Knee Surgery (Novena)
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
- MBBS – National University of Singapore, Singapore
- MRCS – Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK
- MMed (Orthopaedic Surgery) – National University of Singapore, Singapore
- FRCS – Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK
Dr Anandakumar Vellasamy is a Swiss-fellowship-trained, board-accredited Orthopaedic specialist surgeon, with a particular subspecialty interest in complex foot and ankle conditions, including sports injuries and lower limb trauma.
As a former consultant from the Singapore General Hospital and Sengkang General Hospital, Dr Ananda’s clinic practice involves minimally invasive surgical techniques addressing complex foot and ankle disorders, traumatic injuries of the lower limb and various sports injuries, the following areas of foot & ankle surgery:
· Sports injuries, ligament injuries & tendinopathies
· Arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery for management of cartilage defects and impingement
· Forefoot deformity correction (Bunions and lesser toe deformities)
· Management of foot pain (metatarsalgia)
· Management of Diabetic foot ulcers, Charcot’s joints & wounds
· Management of fractures around the foot & ankle
· Correction of flatfeet & high arched feet
· Management of arthritis including Total Ankle Replacement and osteotomies
Dr Ananda successfully performed the first lateral total ankle replacement surgery in South East Asia for end stage ankle arthritis. The repertoire of his use of minimally invasive surgery (MIS) techniques span from calcaneal fractures to foot and ankle deformity corrections including flat feet and bunion corrections. He is also well versed in ankle arthroscopic (key-hole) surgery to address sports ligament injuries and is well versed in the all-inside (knotless) technique for the Brostrum Gould Reconstruction for ankle instability.
Dr Ananda graduated with a MBBS from the National University of Singapore in 2003. He was awarded the Best Houseman Award during his medical posting as a Houseman. He subsequently chose a surgical path and pursued his postgraduate training in Orthopaedic Surgery in Singapore and obtained his fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh. He was awarded the N. Balachandran Memoral Lectureship award in the final year of his Orthopaedic Residency in 2014. He was subsequently also awarded the prestigious AO trauma fellowship award in 2015. He was awarded the Health Manpower Development Plan(HMDP) Award in 2016 for “The Way Forward in Delivering World Class Care in Foot and Ankle Surgery” which enabled him to pursue his fellowship training in Switzerland under world-renowned foot and ankle surgeons Professor Beat
Hintermann, Professor Fabian Krause and trauma surgeon Professor Karl Stoffel in Kantosspital Baselland and Inselspital Bern University Hospital. Dr Ananda also further honed his skills by training with Dr Alexandro Pellegrino at the Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery at the Etzelclinic in Zurich.
Dr Ananda is active in teaching medical students at the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and Duke-NUS Medical School, as well as Orthopaedic Surgery residents and Family Medicine Trainees. He was part of the Master of Medicine In Orthopaedic Surgery Committee that is involved in orchestrating training of junior orthopaedic surgery residents.
He has held and holds membership in the AO foundation, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons(AAOS), European Society of Sports, Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy(ESSKA), American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society(AOFAS), the Singapore Orthopaedic Association(SOA) and is also part of the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society of Singapore( OFASS).
Recommend this doctor to a friend: